A kitchen is an excellent place to connect the family members. In the kitchen, you will get memorable moments when cooking a delicious meal with your mother, chatting with your friends, or even learning new recipes in an exciting mood. There isn’t much of a stretch to say it is the heart of a house. And such a kitchen needs a favor of lighting that creates a sufficient illumination and an emotional ambiance. Your kitchen will not only look more extensive but also adding an elegant touch and subtle vibe.
The right lighting can stand out both decoration and architecture, makes a house a home. Therefore, think about what you have as well as what you want. It’s necessary to invest thoroughly in a scheme that creates a big statement. Take a look, then you will get tons of ideas to dress up your kitchen.
Learn about the layers of lighting
There is a variety of different types of light, but you just need care three-layer of illumination about task-, ambient-, accent-lighting. They are the main factors to get your goal.
- Ambient-lighting: It is the primary source of light that provides a comfortable, natural look and soft glow throughout evenly the kitchen. Thus, achieving a wide-angle of illumination is an essential condition. For ambient lighting, you can consider recessed lighting, flush-mount, chandeliers, pendant lights, linear suspensions, or mixing them together to get the high-impact.
- Task-lighting: Play an important role in the kitchen. Remove the shadow and bright up the limit workspace where the ambient light can not illuminate (cabinets, drawers, countertops, the sink). It provides enough glare for your activities such as meal-prep, cooking, and reading. In this case, under-cabinet light is the best option. Besides, you can choose the pendant light, swing arm lamps, or vanity lighting as an able alternation.
- Accent-lighting: Add a touch of charming while enhancing your personal style. Accent-lighting can highlight the aesthetic look as well as catch your guest’s eyes at smaller decorative details. The minimum contrast ratio between accent and surrounding light should be 3:1 or could increase up to 5:1 to get the most out of its assistive benefit. Again, looking back to your establishment and using wall light, recessed, landscape, or track lighting to make a balanced combination of three-layer of illumination.
Keep in your mind
Usually, lighting is a final option when planning a kitchen design. It would be difficult, however, if you want to set up recessed lighting on unforeseen positions. As a result, considering carefully, splitting the kitchen into particular areas and imagining what you will do in each space. For instance, an island zone is a multi-functional place where you have breakfast, chat with your friends, make a weekend plan,… so a pendant light will work well. Meanwhile, the under-cabinet area needs task-lighting to prevent cutting yourself when chopping vegetables. To attract attention to a kitchen backsplash, you can’t go wrong with accent-lighting. The prerequisite condition is to remove the shadow and distribute sufficient illumination. But don’t over-light as well as being obsessed with the ideas of decoration. Everything just stays at a moderate level.
You should pay attention to the dark places such as under cabinet, worktop, sink,… Take note to ensure that after the finish, all of them will be spotlight evenly. If your kitchen turns toward the light or has a window, the number of light may be less than in case it doesn’t have.
The height is important
Choosing the right sized light fixture can create a big turning-point in your design. The perfect height of lighting depends on two elements: human height and distance from the ceiling to the floor. For the small kitchens, ceiling light will meet your demand.
- To determine the height of ceiling light that suitable for your kitchen, you should measure the height of the room in feet, then multiply it by 2.5 or 3 times, finally substitute feet into inches (1 feet = 1 inch). As an example, if your kitchen is 10 feet high, after accumulating to 25 or 30 feet and swap into 25 or 30 inches, you will get your ideal option about 25-30 inches tall.
- It’s a little like the difference between choosing ceiling light and pendant light. To pick acceptable pendant light, after determining the height of your kitchen, multiply it by 3 and divide that result by 12.
For instance: 3 m tall x 3 = 9 m then 9:12 = 0.75 m and the pendant light is approx 75 cm that is an excellent choice.
Choosing Light Dimmers
Nothing is more fantastic than using light dimmers in interior design. It can adjust the illumination level, improve your mood, and add a little character to your kitchen. Easy to change the ambiance in a way that suits every emotional state, whether you are watching a film, having a romantic conversation or enjoy your meal. Moreover, dimmer is an optimized solution to save energy and extend the life of the bulb.
Nowadays, there is a variety of dimmer types to choose from, you should consider which is compatible with the bulb, total watts as well as smart technology attached.
“LED” is more
If you are searching for the best kind of bulb, need look no further than LED light bulbs. With a lot of benefits, they are reliable assistants. The LED lights don’t hurt your eyes, creates a friendly environment, and help you save money monthly. Unlike incandescent and CFL light bulbs, LED light bulbs have a longer using time up to 50,000 hours. Although you spend a big initial investment, you will receive long-term benefits. Besides, it comes in a range of color and design, LED bulbs provide plenty of visual experiences.
LED lights are now fully dimmable, so you can control the light brightness, color temperature, and easily manage your workspace. The suggested total brightness in the kitchen is 5,000-10,000 lumens, while the recommended color temperature is 2700-5000K to create a balanced and comfortable ambiance.
What’s your style
It’s time to think about your dreamy decorations. The style and color of lighting will highlight the kitchen in good taste. Just remember that everything you pick should be harmony with existing decorations. The unique designs are easy to catch your eyes, but you need to wakeful to withstand unnecessary temptations.
The contemporary chandelier over the kitchen island is the best idea to draw the look of guest and contribute lighting throughout the work area.
At the same time, industrial pendant light adds a sophisticated vibe and charming touch to the vintage arrangement.