When designing a bedroom, what do you most expect to receive? A bedroom that brings a soft, warm feeling, dispels feelings of fatigue after a long day at work, or a modern, cutting-edge bedroom that could show your personality? Regardless of which design you choose, you can not ignore the lighting that is one of the main factors directly affects the whole design, as well as determines the style and feel, that the bedroom wants to convey.
More than just a place to fall asleep, the bedroom is becoming more and more multi-functional where you can read books, entertain or even set up a small work corner, so lighting needs to meet all those demands. Finding the balance between three layers of lighting: task, ambient, and accent lighting is the first step to create your dream bedroom.
But what is task lighting? What type of lighting do we need? Take a look and you will find plenty of great ideas to decorate your bedroom from these guides below.
1. Ambient Lighting
Also known as general lighting, ambient lighting is the primary source of light for a bedroom, including natural light from windows or skylights and artificial light. It provides enough amount of lighting to illuminate throughout the room for almost activities, such as folding your clothes, watching TV, cleaning. Also, it creates a warm and comfortable atmosphere that may soothe your soul. When it comes to ambient lighting, think about what are you going to do in your bedroom? How many are natural lighting sources available? Where do you need accenting? And never forget that achieving balance is the key to your success.
Now, considering about type of ambient lighting, which will fit the best to make your bedroom welcoming and beautiful.
- Chandelier: Normally, the chandelier is the main lighting source in a bedroom. It not only creates a warm and inviting feeling but also comes in a wide range of designs and styles that fit almost every your demand. For the big rooms or the rooms which have a taller ceiling, the chandeliers will provide plenty of lighting and upgrade the beauty, stylish.
- Pendant light: It’s very flexible and suitable either a large bedroom or a small one. There is no rule of installation as well as no rule of dimensions; you could establish a pendant light on the ceiling in the middle of the room or using symmetrical structures.
- Flush mount ceiling lights: For those who love simplicity and elegance, flush mount light is an ideal choice. It brings a seamless look with other decorative elements while distributing an amount of light throughout a room. Suitable for any style and any bedroom which has a ceiling height of fewer than 20 feet.
- Track lighting: The flexibility and convenience of track lighting are the reasons why it is becoming popular. Especially, in case you need to deliver lighting to particular positions in the bedroom, track lighting completes the work in a good way.
- Wall scone lamp: To accomplish the role of ambient lighting, wall scone lamp can be set up high on the wall and work in a pair rather than just a single one. Many kinds of wall scone offer lighting in both directions: up-facing and downward-facing, so that provides enough illumination for general activities.
- Floor lamp: When the square footage of your bedroom isn’t too ample, you can choose a floor lamp instead of other lights. It just occupies a small space but brings highly effective illumination. A tall and flexible floor lamp fits in well in a limited room, which makes that room brighter and more significant.
Tips: The height of the chandelier depends on the height of the wall. To give a clear example, if the distance from the floor to the ceiling is 10 feet, the chandelier should be about 30 inches tall (the ratio is 1:3). On the other hand, the brightness should be maintained at the maximum level and adjusted by a dimmer switch.
2. Task Lighting
Although the ambient lighting provides lighting throughout the room, there are still limited areas where light can not reach, and sometimes the general light is not sufficient to meet specific needs such as reading, makeup, and sewing… Therefore, task lighting is an essential addition. It not only enhances illuminance but also improving contrast that brings the excellent lighting experience.
- Table lamp: There are many types of table lamps, such as bedside lamps, gourd lamps, novelty lamps, pharmacy lamps. When you want to read books or play out your unfinished business in your bedroom, a table lamp will be a reliable companion.
- Low hanging pendants: Depend on the installation, the pendant lamp can be used as ambient lighting or task lighting. A low hanging pendant next to your bed can provide a hight light level perfect for activities that require a lot of flashes.
- Swing-arm lamps: If you are a person who always wants to read books in the bed, you will find that nothing is better than a swing-arm lamp. Easy to adjust the direction of lighting so that the shadows are not able to influence the reading experience.
- Adjustable floor lamps: Unlike other lights, you can move floor lamps around the bedroom as long as electric sources are available. Some floor lamps consist of two bulbs: a big bulb and a smaller one. You can use a larger light bulb as general lighting and adjust a smaller light bulb to perform specific tasks.
- Wall scone lamps: These are also great ideas for task lighting. Establishing a wall scone lamp above the makeup desk is all you need to start beauty every day.
3. Accent Lighting
The ultimate goal of the designs is to highlight the aesthetic value and style of every room, which is also the deep meaning of using lighting. Along with the ambient light, task light, accent lighting accomplishes the overall design, creating a cozy atmosphere while drawing attention to the existing decor elements. Besides, some accent lights are made with an eye-catching appearance and serve as a focal point in the bedroom.
- Recessed lighting: Place them on the ceiling or on the floor next to the wall to stand out wall decorations, namely art pictures, sculptures,…
- Candlelights: Candlelight creates a romantic and comfortable atmosphere. Place a couple of candlelight on the table beside the bed may help you fall asleep easily as well as adding lovely decorations to your bedroom.
- Chandeliers: In a modern bedroom, a sleek and metal chandelier is a good option, while a traditional bedroom should be installed a bejeweled crystal one. If you want to add a whimsy look to your room, nothing is better than a chandelier with floral garlands, beads, or hanging tassels.
- Wall lights: Not only used to highlight other designs but also is a beautiful decorative element. You can place a single wall light above the table, next to a landscape picture, or even install a pair of wall lamp symmetry through your bed.
- Directed track: Track lighting can play the role of all three layers of lighting, thanks to the heads can be adjusted to illuminate many areas.
In the process of selecting and coordinating three layers of lighting together, dimmer is also an essential factor. It can adjust the brightness to change the look and feel of the bedroom. A chandelier in maximum brightness will be considered as ambient lighting, but when decreasing the intensity, it turns into accent lighting. Also, the dimmer is easy to install and fits almost every type of lighting. When you install any lighting layer, don’t forget to use dimmer and place it in a convenient place, which turns on/off and adjusts at ease.